Sunday, July 15, 2012

Fruit Quiz


Many of the fruits we have in US are also available in China, but some things here are not common back home.  Here is a little quiz to test your fruit knowledge. Some are new to me, most I have tried.  New things pop up at the market as the seasons change!


1.This one you may know.  We have them in the US, but they seem to be shaped a little different and are much softer on the inside than ones I bought at the grocery stores back home.














 2.  Another easy one. I bet you didn't expect it to be yellow inside!

3. Outside and inside pictures. I was super excited about this one. It looks so pretty. From the look of the inside I thought maybe it would taste a little like a kiwi, but I find it have virtually no taste at all.

4. This one is sold in a bunch at the market. There is also a shot of the inside. It has a hardish outer shell that is easily peeled. The inside is a white juicy flesh and a small pit.













5. They wouldn't let me buy just one of these and I had no desire to have a bunch of them as I had bought one in the past.  It was more work than it was worth.  It has a hard outer shell and inside has white fleshy fruit with a seed in the center. The bottom is a picture pulled from the Internet.












6.  I have yet to actually try this, mostly because I am afraid of them.  We were warned about people getting sick after eating them.  It looks similar to a large raspberry.  Below I posted a better picture taken from the Interwebs.  I did some reading on them and they seem to be very good for you, but an occasional site warns you of a possible "colon cleansing" effect.  We have had enough experience with that here in China that I don't know if I want to risk it! There are a lot of nooks and crannies that are tough to clean.







7.  This is an easy one.  I have it set next to a yuan, which is about the size of a quarter.  They are small and very tasty!










 8. These look like grapes, but I don't think they are.  I have never seen them at the market or at a store, but the street vendors always have them. 




Durian
9. I see him, but choose not to buy him.  I have read that they are stinky.  Maybe one day I will get brave and buy one.















Answers:
1.  Mango
2.  Kiwi-Just yellow inside!
3. Dragon Fruit
4. Lychee
5. Mangosteen
6. Waxberry--I know there are other common names for them as well.
7. Red Plums--The are small, but very sweet!
8. I don't actually know what these are for sure.  I have been trying to do some Internet hunting and I am leaning towards currant.  The first time I bought them I asked a friend's driver what they were. He said,  "People call them blueberries, but I know that is not right."
9.  Durian


1 comment:

  1. I got 4 right! yay me! 5 if you count the guess at the possible-currant. I'll go take a peek at the ripe ones here and get back to you :-)

    ReplyDelete